Pages

A Little Lunch Break Posting: Grilled Caprese Sandwich (AKA The Queen Kelprese)

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

My coworker, Kelly, is a genius.  Can I say that?  Is that ok with you?  Because it is the truth, after all.  She has been budgeting and, as a result, has been making cheap, budget-friendly but also waistline friendly, meals.  One day at work, as we stood taking a brain break from staring at our computers for hours on end, she talked about an idea for a sandwich she had had.  Sourdough bread, brushed with balsamic vinegar, topped with tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil.  I was drooling.  So, I decided to modify it and try my hand at my own version.  She said “Ok” so long as I named it after her.  The name she decided upon?  The Queen Kelprese, after her. 
Now let me just forewarn you.  You will dream about this sandwich.  It tastes better than it sounds.  It is super easy and fast to make.  Its gooey, and sweet and savory at the same time.  It tastes fresh.  It’s filling.  Its wonderful.  The man enjoyed it too, but I don’t know if he liked it as much as I did.  I couldn’t hear him over my exclamations of “oh my gosh” and “this is so good!” and “mmmmmmmmmmm”.  Have I mentioned how much I love food?  Because it’s a lot.  Really.
Now, after all of my gushing and fanfare and ramblings…I present to you my creation!
Grilled Cheese Caprese Sandwich (AKA The Queen Kelprese)
INGREDIENTS
1 loaf of bakery style bread (don’t be skimpy and buy Wonderbread or whatever)—I used Publix’s Italian bread from the bakery
2 large, vine ripened tomatoes, sliced into whatever thickness you prefer (I like mine on the thin side)
2-3 basil leaves per sandwich (I usually buy the packaged bag of fresh basil that hangs in the case with the herbs
Fresh mozzarella (for 3 sandwiches, you will only need the small, baseball sized ball from the deli case), sliced into thin rounds
Balsamic Vinegar
Butter

DIRECTIONS
Turn a skillet or griddle onto medium heat.  Coat both sides of each slice of bread with however much butter you want (I go on the lighter side, but some people prefer medium to heavy).
Put all of the slices on the skillet to brown.  Once browned, flip them over.   Top half with the mozzarella, tomato, and basil, and then drizzle with balsamic vinegar.  Put the other halfs of the bread on top (browned side inside) and press.  Once the bottom piece is browned, flip so the top half can brown.  Once complete plate and drizzle with a little more balsamic vinegar and serve.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did!  But, who are we kidding.  I enjoy food more than most normal people.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS