Pages

Waffles. Two Ways!

Friday, August 30, 2013

So it has been a while since I have posted a food recipe.  And you know how I love my food.  Mmm Mmmm Good.

Waffles.  Superior to pancakes?  Yes.  In every day.  They have perfect, tiny little pockets just WAITING for melted butter and sweet, sticky syrup to be poured in.  They are cute in appearance (come on, admit it).  They taste phenomenal no matter what kind they are (buttermilk, chocolate chip, cinnamon, banana, chocolate, etc).  They are everything you could want and more...

Except when you eat Paleo.  Like me.  Curses.  I have something called Diverticular disease.  Essentially (and skip ahead if you don't like medical stuff), I have pockets in my intestines that like to hold onto seeds and give me infection, fever, and pain.  It is manageable and I can deal with it (especially by avoiding seeded things) but sometimes, I forget.  I ALWAYS seem to forget tomatoes and cucumbers have seeds.  Oops.  Well, a few months ago, my sugar intake was OUT OF CONTROL.  I was vegetarian but a lazy one so, rather than cooking lots of vegetables, I tended to eat a lot of carbs and sugars.  My body didn't appreciate this and decided it did not want to regulate my blood sugar anymore AND my diverticular flares got worse whenever I had them.  A good friend of mine took my diet and completely changed it--and helped my health--by turning me onto Paleo.  My blood sugar is stable 90% of the time now AND my flares (when they happen) are not as bad.

So, I eat Paleo now.  Which means no bread, beans, grains, etc.  Bye bye waffles, I thought.  But then I found this recipe (and tweaked it).  Paleo Waffles.  Wonderful, fluffy, tasty waffles.  Heaven.


Gluten Free Almond Flour Waffles

1 cup almond meal/flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon (plus a sprinkle or two extra)
1/4 tsp. salt
1 dash pumpkin pie spice
2 tbsp. maple syrup
1 tsp. vanilla
3 eggs
Whisk together the dry ingredients. Then add in the wet. Whisk until well combined. Cook in a greased waffle maker.

ENJOY.


And if you want to make it even SWEETER (double meaning intended--haha), make it dessert.

Cook some bacon and soak it in maple syrup or caramel (your choice) for 10 minutes.  Top your warm waffle with 1-2 scoops of vanilla ice cream, the bacon, and some extra syrup or caramel.  Trust me.  It is wonderful.



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS